...Blogger deleted my post. =( Argh. Now I have to retype it....I feel like kicking the com. Or myself. Crap.
Silent Hill isn't as bad as everyone keeps telling me. The movie reviews really do it injustice. I was very angry when I first wrote this entry, about the movie reviews. The thing that's missing nowadays is that people simply go for a movie and then talk bad about it when it doesn't deliver what you want and makes you think. Now...I'm just really annoyed my post got deleted. Haiz.
In the first place, the facts in the reviews are wrong. I'm not saying all reviews larh... And you would have thought these people would have been able to do proper research to obtain accurate results. Sheesh. If I hadn't been feeling lazy, I would have bombarded their emails with complaints!!
I mean, seriously!
I won't say I'm terribly impressed with Silent Hill but it's worth my $9.50. It's got some shock and gore value but then...I watched the movie half expecting the twists and turns. And most of the time, I was right...but then, I did play the game and I did extensive research back then, so...they were all predictable. Silent Hill is a very deep movie and game...it's the kind you've got to really listen and look carefully to read between lines. It's a lot about symbolism. I'll try not to say too much so that I don't give away spoilers to those who still want to go watch.
One thing that I'm pretty happy about is the main character, Rose. The actress is quite talented and her reaction to the surroundings and happenings are realistic. =) At least it's not like some movies which portrays a person strayed and in a dangerous territory and suddenly she grabs a gun and is able to use it with accuracy. And knows how to deal with the recoil. Geez.
The story line remains almost the same as the game's. Almost. Some characters are switched, the bad ones become good and new characters become the bad people. One creature lurking there is also made up. Which one? Go figure. But most of the others were taken from the various sequels of the game.
I think what I'm disappointed at is that there are actually people living in Silent Hill. The main thing that makes a scary horror game or show is the feeling of being alone. You're alone to deal with the bizarre environment, you're alone to deal with finding your daughter. It's a feeling that makes you feel dreadful and makes the whole process so sadistically enjoyful.
It could also have been a bit more disturbing that it is now...then the show would really get good. But then...it isn't. And it is quite depressing as well, especially the ending. I feel a lot for Rose...yet, it suits the movie. I don't think a happy ending is quite fitting to it. Think in the context of the ghost show- Dark Waters. Not exactly the most satisfying ending for Silent Hill...the games have a far more nicer ending (including one about aliens??) than this one. But surprisingly it fits.
To sum up the movie...it's a lot about...maybe I shouldn't sum it up. For those who are squirmish about blood and gore and violent deaths and fire, don't watch. For those who prefer a feel-good-at-the-end sort, don't watch either because the entire movie, from beginning to end is depressing. There is a lot about faith and blind faith but it's not about good versus evil...good meaning those who fight for righteousness and justice...yeah. I would say, it's about evil conquering evil with more evil. Which is depressing by itself. Each character has already chosen the path of damnation. Some are very pitiful...But I have to say that some parts of the game, especially the supernatural parts (not the ghost sort), baffles me. And it is these moments, that gives Silent Hill its unsettling quality. There are a few loopholes if you look carefully enough but no matter about them. They're small loopholes, easy to skip and ignore.
One disturbing thing is the music at the beginning of the movie. When they're introducing the movie, the half credits? That song is taken from the game...and it's stuck in my mind now, haunting me since last night. Ouch. But even some parts of the movie has been changed. The reoccuring sentence is changed in accordance to the change in the storyline. Forgiveable. Though I think...they put more love into the movie than into the game. Yes, the game is a lot more sadistic than the movie actually. So Silent Hill the movie is quite bland in comparison to the game, and mild.
I particularly like the fact that everyone who dies by the darkness in the movie is cursed. That wasn't in the game...
At least, many things were answered in the movie. In the game, you're kept baffled and shocked, one scene after the other and the whole story will only be revealed either in the end of the end, by reading between lines or by doing a lot of reseach to understand the elements in the story better. So I don't see why many said the show didn't make sense because the story line is so straightforward and focused! Maybe they refer to the supernatural bits?
There are more which I wanted to write, but because I'm rewriting this post...I got lazy to repeat. Haha. Feel free to talk to me about it.